Monday, January 26, 2009

26 thoughts on my 26th birthday

1. My birthday party was a lot of fun, and there was no group-mixing drama. I guess my theoretical analysis was pretty accurate. I’ve always been good with theory, though. I am a mathematician, after all.

2. Even though I spent the day slogging through some binomial probability misery, I can’t help but think to myself that taking the job at U of C was one of the best decisions I ever made. I’m really good at what I do, and I feel that my work is important and worthwhile. I never really felt that way at my last job. My job also connected me with some really great friends, and I’m equally grateful for that.

3. It’s been about two and a half years since I took in my kitty, and at certain moments, I am still amazed what an extraordinarily good companion she is. She’s a loudmouth, and she scratches my furniture, but I can’t imagine how lonely my apartment would be without her.

4. It’s almost the end of January, and that means we are through a substantial portion of the winter. Amen to that. I think perhaps this one was a little easier than the last. Of course, now I just jinxed it.

5. I’m starting to train for the half marathon, and I am actually really excited about it. I think it’s because running is the first thing I have ever really succeeded at athletically. I’m only competing against myself, for myself, and that relieves a lot of pressure for me. It also makes running achievements all that more satisfying – I always know I did it all on my own.

6. I can hear my neighbors talking through the walls right now. I can’t hear individual words, only murmuring and laughter. It makes me smile to hear them laugh, even though I don’t know them. The more laughter in the world, the better. Look at me; now that I’m 26, I apparently think I am a wise sage.

7. Today, Governor Blagojevich compared himself to Ghandi. He’s completely delusional. Also, the auto industry continues to collapse. So, both Illinois and Michigan are in rough shape. I’m starting to think it’s got something to do with me. Don’t let me move to your state.

8. I just put my iTunes on. I always forget how music can help me focus and invigorate me. I really don’t utilize it enough.

9. The other interesting thing about listening to music is how different songs make me think of different people and different parts of my life. It’s a fun thing to do on my birthday, when I’m reflecting on things past. I wonder how my friends from Sweden would feel about the fact that I associate them with “Shut Up” by the Black Eyed Peas. (Actually, I know they would understand exactly why it makes me think of them. Oh, the memories of cheap German wine….)

10. I’m proud of myself for getting involved with some things this year. Leading the food pantry bagging, in particular, has been a trip. There’s never a dull moment. Last week, I had two toddlers who put cans of tuna in the bags for me. The week before, one of the French community teens told me they couldn’t find the tuna, but they finished packing the Chicken of the Sea. Hmm, why do all the interesting stories involve tuna?

11. Every morning, I see the same people at the bus stop, yet I don’t know any of their names. Is that sad, or just the nature of riding public transportation?

12. Wicked closed yesterday. It still makes me sad. It’s going to be weird seeing a different marquee at the theater. It’s almost like an old friend moved away.

13. I’m going to see Spamalot this weekend. It will be my 49th musical. I feel I should commemorate #50 somehow. Any ideas? Anyone want to come?

14. It’s been a tight month, but I’ve still got $38 left in my budget to last me until I get paid on Friday. I plan to spend it on beer and bar food at trivia tomorrow. I wouldn’t admit that, but since it’s my birthday today, you are not allowed to judge.

15. I can’t believe the number of people that wrote on my Facebook wall today. One was sitting about 4 feet from me at the time. Another wrote from Sweden. Oh, the wonders of technology.

16. The alarm clock next to my bed is five minutes fast, and the clock on my VCR is three minutes slow. These are the only readily visible clocks in my apartment. I’m not sure why I’m so anal retentive about most things but I find my clocks completely normal.

17. I complain often about the lack of space in my studio apartment, but looking around, I think perhaps I could utilize the space better. For instance, do I need three pairs of huge plush slippers – cats, ladybugs, and giraffes? …. Yes, yes I do. Never mind.

18. I’m usually very conscious of what I eat, but today, just for the day, I ate whatever the heck I wanted, which included a cream cheese Danish, several chocolate covered strawberries, Coldstone ice cream, and hot chocolate. It was so worth it. I really recommend treating yourself on your birthday.

19. Nothing touches me more than when someone does or says something that shows that they were listening to me in some idle conversation in the past. A friend came to my birthday party bearing a Borders gift card. It may seem like a generic, safe gift, but she also said she looked for the book I was reading now – which I had told her I was really enjoying a few days before – and looked for something like it. She eventually decided to go with the gift card, but the fact that she remembered the title of the book really got me. Thanks, Carla.

20. I’m looking right now at the other gift I received that night – a bowl, hand thrown and glazed by the only amateur potter I know. It came with an opportunity for a trade-in when he goes pro. How can I not be flattered? I had almost forgotten how much fun it was to receive a handmade gift. Thanks, Ben. I’ll always think of this birthday when I look at it.

21. Actually, perhaps it’s any out-of-the-way effort that gets to me. Thanks, Cabby and Guacs, for letting me host at your apartment.

22. Thanks Jess, for coming from the other end of the city.

23. Thanks Meg, for getting there from Chinatown, bearing fortune cookies.

24. Thanks Carlos, for bringing me the top-shelf beer. It all meant a lot to me.

25. I am happy. I am truly, honestly satisfied with my life right now, and that’s the best birthday gift I could ask for. I’ve worked really hard over the past few years to discover things that interest me, follow my passions, and meet new people, and all of that has really paid off for me. It’s the best birthday gift I could have asked for, and I thank everyone who has helped me get here.

26. This 27th year? I think it’s going to be a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

50 huh? Perhaps in that case we should see something you have not yet seen for your birthday so you can reach the big 5-0.

Anonymous said...

Also, the oriental looks really weird without the green lights.