Wednesday, December 23, 2009

5 lines I have delivered onstage

It's been quite a few years since I was in a show, but in middle and high school, I was quite the drama queen. I was always the first to have my lines memorized, and I still remember some of them....

1. (sung) "How they swing their partners 'round, 'til their feet are off the ground, and they clap their hands like this, and they stomp their feet like that. How they swing their partners 'round, 'til their feet are off the ground, in my home in Switzerland, Switzerland." (from William Tell and the Swiss Archers, the 6th grade play, in which I played a villager)

2. "Oh, John, God send his mercy on you!" (The Crucible, the high school play my sophomore year, in which I played Rebecca Nurse) (Everyone liked "I have not had my breakfast" better, but my favorite line to deliver was the one above.

3. "Heat snapped metal like the brittle winter ice!" (from a dramatic version of Ray Bradbury's "There Will Come Soft Rains", one of two brief shows we did at a summer camp I attended. I was the electric cleaning mouse. I remember this line in particular because I got me a really great compliment from the director, who said that everyone should project their voices like I did when I delivered that line.)

4. (sung) "Good King Applesauce looked out...." (from Oh Christmas Three, the children's play we put on when I was a senior in high school. I played a singing turkey named Tanya. No, really.)

5. "Someday you'll see that a great injustice was done me. You'll see I was always quite sane. But here I am, and here they'll try to keep me, with my few foolish years taken from me! (pause) You know, if you walk around the edges of the carpet sometimes, it saves wearing out the middle!" (from The Curious Savage, the high school play my senior year, in which I played Mrs. Savage. Absolutely my favorite show.)

No comments: