Tuesday, December 15, 2009

5 things I carry in my commuter bag

I carry a rather large bag with my every day on the bus to work. People seem to wonder why I need such a big bag. Well, here are five of the reasons.

1. A travel coffee mug. This is a total must now that I have free coffee in my lobby. I refuse to use a styrofoam every day.

2. A book, or sometimes two. The commute goes MUCH faster with this. Particularly since I no longer get on the train where they hand out RedEyes.

3. My lunch. I am too cheap and too lazy to go out and buy one most of the time, so I always carry a lunch.

4. My Not For Tourists book of maps of Chicago. I know I have lived here 4 and a half years, but it doesn't matter. I still have plenty of occasions where I need to refer to maps, and I still carry the book with me wherever I go.

5. An umbrella. Though the wind often makes it useless, I am always glad I have this.

And that doesn't count the standard wallet, keys, and phone. Plus shoes, in the winter when I wear show boots. So lay off my big bag. I keep if off the seat next to me, and that is all the magic announcer voice of the CTA asks me to do.

No comments: