Wednesday, December 09, 2009

5 nicknames I have had in my lifetime

1. Master B, sometimes written Masta B. One of my high school drumline instructors called me that because I had a bass solo (played on synthesizer), and it really stuck.

2. G. I couldn't really tell you how this started, because neither of us remember, but my friend Shannon calls me this. It's what I call her, too. Somehow this never causes confusion, except when we both address and sign emails as G, in which case we usually sign "the other G". The more I write about this, the less it makes sense.

3. K83, pronounced "Katie three". My circle of former coworkers (and the people that I met through them) call me this. I can't remember the exact evolution, but it began by me saying I hate it when people write words with letters, like "gr8". Then one of my oh-so-caring friends started spelling my name K8e, which then became K83.

4. KATIE RICH! I suppose this is not technically a nickname, but I have two particular friends from college that always start conversations and voicemails by saying me first and last name loudly, in a high-pitched squealy voice. It sounds annoying, but I actually have grown to find it kind of endearing.

5. Katie Rich-nuts. A name given to me by one of my fellow TAs in college. One day, he started addressing everyone by adding "nuts" to the end of their names, and for some reason, he never stopped saying it where I was concerned. Must have a nice ring to it.

No comments: